Useful Links

Useful Links

St James Primary School

Download App

Applying for Free School Meals

Free school meals and a daily free portion of milk are available to children whose parent or guardian is in receipt of one of the following range of government allowances:


Universal Credit (with an annual net earned income of no more than £7,400)

Income Support

Income based Job Seekers Allowance (IBJSA)

Income related Employment and Support Allowance (IRESA)

Support under Part VI of the Immigration & Asylum Act 1999

The guarantee element of Pension Credit

Child Tax Credit (with no Working Tax Credit) with an annual gross income of no more than £16,190, as assessed by HMRC.  NB If you receive Working Tax Credit, you do not qualify even if you receive Child Tax Credit and your income is below £16,190

Working Tax Credit run-on (paid for the four weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)


Children who qualify are also eligible for further funding called Pupil Premium, which can help your child receive financial or educational support during their time with us, for example, towards costs for one-day or residential trips.  

Registering for these meals allows the school to access significant additional funding for the duration of your child's time at St James Primary, which is used to support eligible children's progress in school and narrow the attainment gap between them and their peers. 

Other Pupil Premiums are available to the school if the parents or guardians meet the following criteria:

-   Is your child a looked-after child (LAC)?  ie, in the care of, or provided accommodation by an English local authority

-   Has your child ceased to be looked after by the local authority because of adoption, a special guardianship order, a child arrangements order or a residence order?

-   Are either or both parents regular members of HM Forces and designated as personal category 1 or 2 (PStat Cat 1 or 2), in the armed forces of another nation and stationed in England or in receipt of a child pension from the Ministry of Defence?


You must register even if your child is in Years R, 1 or 2 to receive this funding.

All enquiries are dealt with in the strictest confidence.  Please contact the school office for more details.