At St James we have four houses and the children are allocated to one when they join the school. Children are given house points for good behaviour and being a good role-model for others. We elect eight house captains from Y6 in September who lead their houses throughout the year.
Our Houses are named Ellis, Reffold, Tilson and Young. The names were selected, with help from the School Council, in July 2018. The Houses are named after four former pupils of the school who sadly lost their lives in World War 1 as part of our centenary work on the end of the war; it was the perfect way to commemorate the fallen. George Charles Ellis, George Reffold, Ernest Tilson and Harold Young; we will remember them.
Each house has a motto, chosen by the House captains in 2019.
Young: Be brave, be Young!
Tilson: The sky's the limit!
Ellis: Striving to be the best!
Reffold: Live to leap!
Every half term we run a different inter-house competition. This helps the children build skills in a variety of areas whilst inviting them to bring out the best in their team spirit and resilience. In a small school, inter-house competitions also give children extra chances to work with peers from different year groups.
2019 - 2020 competitions:
- Tackling Food Waste - Design a solution to wasting food at St James
- Launch - Wednesday 25th September
- Deadline - Tuesday 22nd October
- Results - Wednesday 23rd October - wear House T-Shirts all day
- The Big St James Quiz
- Whole school event - Thursday 19th December - wear House T-Shirts all day
- Photographer of the Year 2020
- Launch - Wednesday 22nd January
- Deadline - Monday 10th February
- Results - Thursday 13th February - wear House T-Shirts all day
- The St James Bake Off 2020
- Round 1 - Monday 9th March with Cake Sale after School
- Final Day 1 - Tuesday 24th March
- Final day 2 - Wednesday 25th March (including judging)
- Results and Staff Bake Off - Friday 3rd April with cake sale after School - wear House T-Shirts all day
- Sports Day 2020
- Whole School event - Thursday 21st May - wear House T-Shirts all day
- Reserve Sports Day - Thursday 25th June - wear House T-Shirts all day
- STEAM competition - details TBC
- Launch - Tuesday 9th June
- Deadline - Tuesday 7th July
- Results - Wednesday 22nd July
2019 - 2020 House Lunches
- Friday 8th November - wear House T-Shirts all day
- Friday 20th March - wear House T-Shirts all day
- Friday 10th July - wear House T-Shirts all day
2018 - 2019 competitions:
- World War 1 - 100 (artwork created to commemorate the end of WWI)
- The Big St James Quiz (general knowledge quiz with questions from the Sports Crew)
- Photographer of the Year (in conjunction with the Elstead Gardening Club)
- The St James Bake Off (two rounds of baking)
- Sports Day (the highly contested, traditional sports day)
- School Flag Design competition
Past competitions include a swimming gala, French work promoting French speaking places and an engineering challenge to create a strong paper bridge!
The PTA kindly donated us the funds to purchase a unique flag for each House. We use the flags on the common when rambling as a whole school, at our termly House lunches (where the children eat in Houses rather than classes) and at Sports Day.
The House that wins the inter-house competition also gets their flag raised on our school flagpole; victory for the whole village to see!
House captains & Head Pupils
Each House has two House Captains. The House Captains are appointed in July, ready for the following year. The children apply for the role using an application form and covering letter. We shortlist 16 children with the strongest applications and then interview them formally. We believe this gives the children a fair chance whilst experiencing a formal interview for the first time.
From these interviews we also appoint two Head Pupils who help to guide the House Captains and assist in the running of the school, including the School Council.